Wednesday 25 May 2011

Day 2 - Get dressed.

Today's assignment was to get dressed to shoes, including hair and make-up, as soon as I get up. Oops, there's my first error. I overslept this morning. It was my own fault as I stayed up late watching Prison Break and when your spending time with Michael Scofield time passes so quickly. The upshot being that when I woke I threw my dressing gown on to make DS sandwiches for the day and get breakfast for both kids. At 9.30am I was still in said dressing gown. Getting dressed is the easy bit but I think the point is that this step is supposed to make you feel ready to work, as well as make you feel good about yourself, and just throwing on yesterday's sweats is not going to cut it on either front.

Still, Flylady says "jump in where you are" but if she knew exactly where I am she might shudder too. My hair was last washed 4 days ago - in fact yesterday's "hair do" included talcum powder to take the shine off (come on! you've all done it) and my legs look like the Amazon rainforest. A bit like my sink yesterday, this is a big job but once it's done it's only a matter of maintenance.


At 10am I got a call from DS's school saying he was sick and my best laid plans were sidelined as I tended to my first priority. However, I was determined to at least make myself presentable and did keep my lace up shoes on my feet all day. It'd hard to say how this affected me as this is the only habit from my many forrays into Flylady that has stuck. It does help when I have to run out to the bin or to put the recycling out and does stop me from procrastinating about those jobs and it does stop you kicking up your feet on the sofa with a good book. I was still determined to take myself in hand though and after I'd tucked both children safely in bed I headed to the bathroom to do battle with my unruly hair and unpolished body. I washed, scrubbed, shaved and moisturised and for the first time in a long time didn't rush it or feel guilty about it. OK, a little late in the day but as Flylady says "your not behind." Tomorrow's babystep is to practice what we've done so far so I will make sure I get up, get dressed to shoes and do my hair and make-up in the interest of fair experimentation to see if it does really impact on the way I feel throughout the day. Wish me luck.

PS - My sink is still sparkling.

No comments:

Post a Comment